Heavy winds can cause significant roof damage that requires costly repairs or a total replacement. Roofing repairs can range in costs from hundreds to thousands of dollars, with roof replacements costing anywhere from $30,000-50,000. While normal wear and tear require homeowners to pay out of pocket for repairs and replacements, your homeowner’s policy covers some roof damage.
Unfortunately, filing an insurance claim can be a complicated and drawn-out process. Understanding how insurance claims work can help ensure coverage and speed up the process. Let’s discuss the types of damage covered by insurance and how to file a claim successfully.
Types of Fayetteville AR Roofing Damage Covered by Homeowners Insurance
Depending on your policy type, most homeowners are covered by their insurance policy. Most policies cover roof damage caused by events such as wind, fire, hail, or snow. Typically, the dwelling coverage portion of your homeowner’s insurance covers your roof for specific types of damage, such as sudden or accidental.
While many insurance companies have changed their coverage levels due to a significant rise in claims over the years, most coverage levels remain consistent if the damage is from natural causes such as wind.
It’s important to understand that most insurance policies don’t cover several causes of damage. This includes:
- Damage caused by lack of maintenance
- Damage from normal wear and tear
- Progressive damage that results from failing to repair roof problems
- Damage from floods and earthquakes
- Cosmetic damage to metal roofs
Talk to your insurance company to ensure you have the right coverage for your Fayetteville AR roofing.
How to File a Claim
If your roof is damaged by wind, it’s crucial to gather the correct information before filing your claim. Take these steps before filing a roof claim with your insurance company:
- Review Your Policy– Before you make your claim, review your policy, so you know what to expect. If roof damage is covered, you’ll learn how much coverage you have before you talk to a professional roofing company.
- Assess the Damage– If you suspect there is roof damage, don’t just look at the exterior of your roof. Make sure to check your home’s interior as well. Since water damage can be costly to repair, check your attic and ceilings for signs of leaks.
- Document– Take as many pictures as you can and make sure they are time-stamped, if possible. Never rely on the adjuster to determine the costs of repairs or replacement. You should also call a professional Fayetteville AR roofing company for a written estimate.
- Act Fast– When it comes to roof damage and insurance claims, time is of the essence. If damage occurs at your negligence, you may be financially responsible.
- Keep a Log of Communications– Since the insurance claims process can get complicated, you should always keep a record of your communications. Document everything, including when you filed your claim and any communication you had with the insurance company.
Contact FES Roofing for Insurance Claims Assistance
If you’re filing an insurance claim for wind damage to your roof, you need a reliable roofing company to handle your repairs. This guarantees you get the best results and ensures your coverage. Contact FES Roofing today to schedule your inspection.